02 June 2011

Costanza's Wallet

I used to think that I was not a terribly picky person.  Turns out that is dead wrong.  I'm picky about my beer, my brand of mayonnaise, the music I listen to and a whole host of other things.  Now, I prefer to consider myself picky, but not a snob (though if we're talking beer here, then, well, I AM a snob and have been for ~16 years (once the novelty of the fake ID wore off and I had more than 3$ to spend on 6 beers)).  My pickiness was driven home recently over something I never really considered a terribly important item: my wallet.  Oh sure, it is important in it's function as my link to dolla-dolla bills y'all, but beyond that and a few trinkets from over the years (two worn Pearl Jam tickets - 2008 w/my sister and 2010 FRONT ROW DEAD CENTER with my wife - a "lucky" two-dollar bill creased perfectly in fourths, my Tapps "wall-of-foam" discount card for when I'm back in Melbourne and a Tinkerbell valentine's day card from Paige from before she could write her name, 2009?) the wallet is just a thing that sucks to sit on in the car.

Mine, however, has been in steady decline for a while now.  I pulled a version of a long-standing family tradition (usually done with duct tape by my Mom's side) and stapled the thing into a semblance of a functional catch-all.  It lasted about two weeks and today finally waved the white flag.  Now, normally I'm not much of a penny pincher.  When I want something, I usually do some research and purchase the best one I can possibly afford (note: AFFORD...be smart and realize what your limits are...if you can't you can't and SHOULD NOT...I learned that the hard way in college).  I do not, however, enjoy spending money on things that I "need".  Like the cool $850 we just dropped to fix the A/C for someone else to enjoy when we finally sell this shoebox of a house.  Sucko.

Wallets, generally speaking and if your last name isn't "Hilton" or "Kennedy", are not terribly expensive things.  I am not really a label hound either.  My last wallet was a "Nautica" leather thing, purchased at Macy's because my father-in-law had gifted me with an over-sized shirt at X-mas which I couldn't replace and had to use the store $ on something.  I think it was ~$20.  So, I go to Kohl's (last week, prior to the stapling) to have a peek at their selection and after 25 minutes (seriously, I picked out my CAR faster than this...)  I find one I sort-of like: $26 (it's a "Relic", whatever that is) and they're running a buy one, get one 50% off sale.  Great if I wanted TWO wallets, but I only wanted one.  And, I felt that $26 was too much for a wallet that I wasn't so sure about- even though I know damn well my wife owns wallets more expensive than that, and that we bought my youngest sister a "Coach" wallet (CHA-CHING) for her collegiate graduation last summer.  So I stapled the Nautica and started looking around on-line at wallets.  I didn't realize there were so many options.  Again, though, all too expensive for my liking.  But, like I said, Nautica died today.  So, I went back to Kohl's, thinking they might be running a different sale, as they are prone to do.  Money, 30% off wallets!  Got one for ~$20 out the door.

So, I paid the right price, but now I've got this completely new chunk of leather and acetate.  Unworn.  Totally different layout.  I start putting cards and stuff in to it (and I can't believe how many store cards I have, not credit cards, you know, the "customer membership" type cards so they can track your purchases and what not and offer you "deals" in return) and even though it looks bigger, it's board stiff and nothing fits.  My license and insurance cards are in a weird location.  The bank card is covering up the credit card.  Can't find room for my Sams Club card...never mind my Dave & Busters Power Card (with like $1.75 on it).  And the kicker?  Well, no cash besides my lucky two-dollar bill so I don't know if the bill-fold "works".  I'm sure it does.  But the problem is that the thing won't close all the way now.  I actually removed several cards for places I do not frequent.  How do dudes get away with using those two-slotted money clips?  Straight cash homey?

I just re-read this post and it makes very little sense.  I'm sure there was a point to be made in there somewhere.

Didn't get to see much of my kids today.  I spent my usual morning interaction time prepping the pot-roast for the crock pot (beef at 6AM) and after dinner I had to go out shopping (to get a damn wallet and food) for the upcoming camping trip and they were sound asleep when I got home.  The wife said they were extra good for her tonight...well done Peanut and Tare-bear.  I did give you both a kiss while you were sleeping around 9:30PM.  I love you and I miss you.

2 comments:

  1. Who's Costanza?

    But I understand ... anytime I need a new wallet, although I won't end up sitting on it, I deal with the same things. Don't want to spend too much (it's just a wallet), then when I do get one - where does all the stuff go, and where does the stuff go that no longer fits (oh, and will it fit into ALL of my different handbags???) ... but I digress ... and that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brendan just had to retire his wallet last month...a sad day for him. He had been using the same wallet since high school. And you know him, he hates change :)

    Did you check ebay to see if you could find an exact "replacement" of the orginal wallet? That is what I would have done, but I'm strange like that :)

    ReplyDelete